[Gluster-users] error when using mount point as a brick directory.

Claudio Kuenzler ck at claudiokuenzler.com
Fri Sep 12 14:41:04 UTC 2014

Thanks for the hint about force", I didn't try that.
On the other side I am thankful for the error/warning which prevented me to
create the volume because I just thought of a scenario which could result
in problems.

Imagine you have a LV you want to use for the gluster volume. Now you mount
this LV to /mnt/gluster1. You do this on the other host(s), too and you
create the gluster volume with /mnt/gluster1 as brick.
By mistake you forget to add the mount entry to fstab so the next time you
reboot server1, /mnt/gluster1 will be there (because it's the mountpoint)
but the data is gone (because the LV is not mounted).
I don't know how gluster would handle that but it's actually easy to try it
out :)

So using a subfolder within the mountpoint makes sense, because that
subfolder will not exist when the mount of the LV didn't happen.