[Gluster-devel] Removing glupy from release 5.7

Deepshikha Khandelwal dkhandel at redhat.com
Thu Jun 13 03:13:25 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:41 AM Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:36 AM Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM Amar Tumballi Suryanarayan <
>> atumball at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>>> We recently noticed that in one of the package update on builder (ie,
>>> centos7.x machines), python3.6 got installed as a dependency. So, yes, it
>>> is possible to have python3 in centos7 now.
>>>

>> EPEL updated from python34 to python36 recently, but C7 doesn't have
>> python3 in the base. I don't think we've ever used EPEL packages for
>> building.
>>
>> And GlusterFS-5 isn't python3 ready.
>>

> Correction: GlusterFS-5 is mostly or completely python3 ready.  FWIW,
> python33 is available on both RHEL7 and CentOS7 from the Software
> Collection Library (SCL), and python34 and now python36 are available from
> EPEL.
>
> But packages built for the CentOS Storage SIG have never used the SCL or
> EPEL (EPEL not allowed) and the shebangs in the .py files are converted
> from /usr/bin/python3 to /usr/bin/python2 during the rpmbuild %prep stage.
> All the python dependencies for the packages remain the python2 flavors.
> AFAIK the centos-regression machines ought to be building the same way.

centos-regression machines have 'CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)' and
using python3.6. Looking at the tracebacks when compiling we confirmed that
it is picking up python3.6 somehow.

To resolve this issue either we can remove glupy from the release(which is
dead anyways) or install glupy on the instances.