[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS new-features/project ideas

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sun Aug 17 14:32:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:23:28AM +0800, Vimal A R wrote:
> Hello Gluster devel list,

Hi Vimal!

> I would like to know if there exist a to-do feature-list somewhere on
> gluster.org, for features that would be expected to be implemented
> sooner or later.

Unfortunately we do not consistently track proposals for new features.
There are several feature requests marked with the FutureFeature keyword
in Bugzilla. Maybe something looks interesting for you:
- https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&keywords=FutureFeature&keywords_type=anywords&product=GlusterFS

I have started a "Proposed Features/Ideas" section on the main Feature
page of the Gluster wiki. It currently contains only two features that
interest me, but others can add their ideas too:
- http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features#Proposed_Features.2FIdeas

Once it is clear how anyone can update the new website, I'll look into
listing a page like this somewhere more easy to find.

> I am looking for a project idea for my under graduate degree which can
> be completed in around 3-4 months. Are there any suggestions/ideas to
> help me further?

These are some of the topics I personally would like to see some work
on. If I could find the time for them, I'd work on them myself. But
I would support anyone else wants to give it a go:

- Support for FS-Cache in the Linux FUSE kernel module
  + http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/FS-Cache

- HTTP/GET Content-Range for the mod_proxy_gluster Apache module
  + https://forge.gluster.org/mod_proxy_gluster/
  + test and document performance improvements for 'normal' websites and
  media streaming

- GNOME file browser integration for 'connect to server', like WebDAV,
  SSH and FTP
  + http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Glib-GIO

Cheers,
Niels